Friday, September 25, 2009

Bordeaux-licious!

Last weekend Marily and I went to the Winter Park Farmers Market and came across a wonderful bleu cheese made by a local artisan cheesemaker. Friday night we decided to head to Total Wine to purchase a nice wine to pair with our cheese. We spoke with one of their "wine guys" and he recommended a nice Bordeaux.

Inspired by the wine, I decided to make steaks with mushrooms and a red wine sauce. I threw the broiler pan in the oven set to high broil, then seared the streaks for a minute on each side (seasoned with olive oil and McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning).
Afterwards I placed the steaks on the warmed broiler pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes.

While that magic happened I prepared the red wine sauce. Using the searing pan, I added a little olive oil and sliced garlic, sauted for a few minutes then added about 4 tbsp butter. Once the butter melted, I added a little beef broth, 1/2 cup red wine and the mushrooms.

Meanwhile, I threw two oven safe plates into the oven while the steaks finished cooking. Once the timer went off (yes the key to perfect cooking is accurate time!) everything was ready to plate.








It was delicious. The steak did come out more medium to medium well so I'd either try using the low broil setting and/or cook for less time (we like medium to medium rare).

Back to the cheese. We both remember the bleu cheese to be absolutely, surprisingly delicious. When we tried it again tonight, it seemed very salty. I'm not sure whether it was the food or wine pairing, or if we just handled it wrong...or perhaps being an artisan cheese this one just was more salty compared to the one we sampled. In any case I'm certainly not going to give them a bad review....we'll just try it again!







Mocha loved it though...







By the way, the Bordeaux was Arthus 2005 Cotes De Castillon at a <$18 price point, it was a steal.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No response to “Bordeaux-licious!”

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails