Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Runner's Log: Week 1

Last Saturday one of our neighbors hosted a fantastic Christmas party (awesome food, good drinks & great friends). While attempting to increase my tolerance *read: enjoying several cocktails*, my other neighbor decides to proposition me into becoming his running buddy...needless to say, I must of had a couple by that time because I agreed. Now, let me give you some background...he's ex-military, you know the type to run 10 miles in full gear, special training, etc., etc...me...my credentials amount to high school cross country & track. I'm about 12 years removed...scratch that, since I stopped running in my junior (or was it after the sophomore season?)...anyway, suffice it to say, I am totally out of running shape.

So, "motivated Mondays" comes along and I ask my neighbor, "how far are we running?" His response, oh 3 miles....3 miles!!! First run in years and he wants to do 3 miles...in 47 degree weather (that is cold in Florida). Not wanting to seem like any less of a man, I said sure I can do it. Well, I survived and we finished up the 3 mile trek in 28:37. Not too shabby...I was pretty proud of myself and bonus, I didn't even get sick!! (Prior to departing on the wonderful run, I told Marily "if I'm not sick already, I'll have pneumonia by the time I get back."

Our second run was today, "try it again Wednesdays." We decided to take it easy today and change the course. My neighbor tells me lets hang a left out of the community and head toward the overpass, I'm sure it's less then 3 miles. I'm trusting the guy since I haven't mapped out any courses. As we're running through the fog and 14 minutes out (and still quite a distance from the overpass) I had to question his guesstimate on the distance. He agreed that it was likely over 3 miles and we cut back. We're still not sure what the distance was, but we ran for 28:04. So, I'll be interested to find out the mileage.

Next up, "Finally made it a week Fridays!"

One response to “Runner's Log: Week 1”

Eli said...

Ahhhh, maybe you should invest in a Garmin Forerunner to let you know how far you are running and it will graph out your progress as you continue to train. They have serveral versions but the newest one (405) is smaller and wirelessly syncs. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11039

Happy trails.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails